Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DGUSA Open The Ultimate Gate 3/26/10
WrestlingPower
post Oct 12 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Mid-Atlantic Legend

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 126

I bought this DVD at the last Philly show. This was from WrestleMania weekend, their first "double shot" as they are now doing a DVD taping & PPV taping each time they run a weekend of shows.

Bonus disc
1-The Fray: Chimera vs. The Prophet started. These were 2 masked guys who looked WAY too much alike to tell them apart or figure out why they had the names they did. Nice lucha but they seemed to be rushing stuff with no time to sell. Dustin & Brandon Cutler from PWG were the next 2 in. They just seemed to be randomly doing stuff as they seemed robotic & sloppy as they once dumped Prophet on his head. Brad Allen was next in. He seems agile & moves around well. The crowd here was embarrassing as there were like 20 people there when this was taped. Dave Crist was next in and he physically looks like crap with bad tattoos, a dumpy body, and a faux hawk w/ green coloring in it, just a disaster. He was sloppy as all hell as well. Malachi Jackson was next in and he was spot-tastic. Jake Crist rounded out the cast here. This came down to Irish Airborne vs. Allen. Lots of dangerous looking stuff here as Allen picked up the win. He's fine. Not a good match by any means. **

2-LA Park/El Hijo de Rey Misterio vs. Derrick Niekirk/GQ Gallo
Turns out this was from the main show but was so hideous they relegated it to the bonus disc so as not to kill the momentum of the main show as this went like 25 minutes. Park is quite fat now. Misterio dresses and has tattoos like Rey Jr. but has a build more like Blue Panther with a thick upper body & butt. Park looks ridiculous actually like some fat old man in a costume rather than a wrestler. Niekirk sucks as it looked like he was going to injure himself and/or others. Not much of a match & really disjointed. This seemed like more a showcase of Park's shtick than anything else as the match is totally worthless. Gallo has a real good look, like a less roided up Scott Putski. Did I mention there was lots of BS & shtick & wandering around? Too long & aimless & if I was the ref I would have just callled for the bell to end it for everyone. Bad finish. DO NOT WATCH. *

Main show:
3-Mike Quackenbush/Jigsaw vs. Genki Horiguchi/Susumu Yokosuka
Genki has a horrible new look. Quack's cool reversals & stuff was only offset by his annoying facials. The Japanese looked minor league wrestling in t-shirts. The action here was fine but no real intensity. Lenny Leonard continues to slightly annoy with his calling of meaningless names of moves that just sounds like he's screaming non-sensical, random words. **1/4

4-Open The Dream Gate Champ YAMATO vs. TJ Perkins in a non-title match
Another perfectly fine match that seemed to lack intensity or importance. Real good showcase for Perkins here. Odd random choke finisher. By the way, what's with chokes being allowed in pro wrestling these days? Just cuz they do it in MMA is no excuse, this isn't MMA, this is an extension of amateur wrestling and chokes have ALWAYS been illegal. Just wanted to get that off my chest. *3/4

5-Jon Moxley/Brian Kendrick vs. Paul London/Jimmy Jacobs
Moxley looked decent. He did an over the top suplex where he tumbled over as well. London kind of killed off the match when he did some spots as if he were wrestling an invisible man and then doing random mic work. It's kind of hard to give a crap about this when it appeared London & Kendrick didn't. Jacobs looked good with some Eddie Gilbert clotheslines. Moxley seems to be doing something unique in wrestling at this point but not sure his look really does him any favors but he carries himself like JBL who ended up a bigger star than he ever should have been. London & Kendrick turned it up for a great last couple minutes. Post match brawl was a disjointed mess as Teddy Hart showed up & brawled w/ L&K and got his spots in. **

6-Masato Yoshino vs. SHINGO
Leonard was annoying again here calling these alleged moves. Perfectly fine match but a big disappointment compared to the match they could have. The fans didn't seem all that into it & the guys never seemed to shift into a higher gear, they just kind of had a match. **1/4

7-Open the Freedom Gate Champ B.B. Hulk vs. Naruki Doi
The goth chick "dancer" was not in NEARLY the shape to be wearing what she was wearing & just randomly ran circles around BB while clapping rather than dance. This was better than the previous match but really nothing special at all. Just lacked that special atmosphere and seemed like a random house show match. **1/2

8-Young Bucks/Jack Evans vs. CIMA/Gamma/Dragon Kid
Not much heat or intensity here for the main event. Gamma did his annoying heel shtick as you would expect, with spitting the water and using the cane. This really came across like a mid-card, time killing match rather than a main event. Not too much selling here either as it really came across like an exhibition of moves rather than a match. Evans hasn't improved any and was exactly as I remember him. Kind of fun but not as good as you might expect. ***1/4

BOY, this was a huge disappointment. If this is an indication of the level of effort these guys are going to give on a non-PPV taping then I would skip them. Another in a line of shows from ROH, PWG, etc. where you can't really go by the lineup on paper anymore as the booking or the motivation of the guys can totally determine how the show comes off. I don't think the theater atmosphere helped that much with a lot of fans that maybe weren't familiar with the product, but the work was nothing too special either. SKIP THIS. In fact, if you want my copy, it's going on EBAY.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 09:02 PM
2007 AirplaneSpin.com