Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zero One 1/1/10
WrestlingPower
post Oct 16 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Mid-Atlantic Legend

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 126

Show opened with a clip from the opening ceremony where Otani introduced Naohiro Hoshikawa at ringside, who with assistance, stood up from his wheelchair. I've long since forgotten what exactly happened to him but he has been in poor health for 5-8 years and I always really liked him as a worker and wondered how he was doing. He clearly will never wrestle again

1-Shota Takanishi/Kenta Kakinuma vs. Shito Ueda/Yuzuru Saito
Kakinuma & Saito were your sterotypical Japanese greenhorns in black boots & tights and are largely interchangeable. Saito showed potential but had that "facial no-selling" going on where even if he bumped he just reacted & looked robotic. Pretty rough in spots, you had a lot of unnecessary stiffness, guys unintentionally landing on each other etc. Takanishi badly blew a couple things. He at least had a bit of a look in powder blue trunks w/ his name on it. Ueda is a stocky guy in a singlet, think a bulkier Sami Callahan. 13:31 was a bit too long for their experience level. Takanishi got the undeserved pin. *

2-Kamikaze vs. Rikiya Fudo
This was quite the US indy match between 2 veterans. Neither was in quite as good a shape as they used to be in, seemed to be moving slower, work was perfectly fine but they just seemed to be 2 non-descript indy guys doing what they can to get thru a match, probably should be retired, but doing nothing objectionable. Even had the pinfall immediately after a time call. Joined in progress but what they showed was 3/4*.

3-Masato Tanaka/Kintaro Kanemura vs. Mr. X/Mr. XX (Minoru Fujita & Takashi Sugawara)
Tanaka & Kanemura did the old Team No Respect entrance & dance. Tanaka is SHREDDED. Kanemura appeared down in weight but still carries himself like he could care less and his dress & appearance reflects it. X & XX come out in ultra-generic & thrown together outfits, with lame masks w/ Xs across the front, tinsel for boas, one had a Mexican flag as a cape, the other a British flag, t-shirts & pleather pants. Really lame brawl around the seats to start. Tanaka & Kanemura did simultaneous splashes from the top ropes to the outside & put their opponents thru tables. Actually the whole match was pretty lame. *1/4

4-Masaaki Mochizuki/Ikuto Hidaka vs. Munenori Sawa/Fujita Jr. Hayato
Sawa & Hayato are young guys who get a lot of press, but I've only seen them maybe a couple times each. Hidaka's hair is even more questionable than the last time I saw him. This match was quite kick-tastic. At least guys were showing more aggression than anything on the show so far. The nothing-but-kicks got a little old. Got a little sloppy down the stretch. Decent match. **1/4

More to come...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WrestlingPower
post Oct 17 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #2

Mid-Atlantic Legend

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 126

5-Toshiaki Kawada vs. Daisuke Sekimoto
Kawada had just won the Zero-One "World" Title from Masato Tanaka. They are still using the same belt from when they recognized the AWA World Champ. Kawada is a little heavier than before but looks exactly the same otherwise other than he wrestled this match with his teeth in. He's lucky they didn't get knocked out. I loved this match as it was just 2 tough guys beating the crap out of each other. Lots of chops, kicks to the back, kicks to the face, kicks upside the head, stiff clotheslines that almost turned into STOs. What's not to love? This match is going on my annual Christmas comp. In fact I'm going to seek out more Zero One to continue to watch Kawada's title reign. ***1/2

6-Shinjiro Otani/Akebono vs. Ryoji Sai/Kohei Sato
Really entertaining, solidly wrestled match. Bono is best in a tag as he can come in, do some stuff, and get out before he keels over. He is quite the bowling ball with legs. I'm not sure how old he is but he probably won't live real long. The rest brought the good as you would expect. Otani, Sai & Sato are really like the poster boys for the promotion, they are always going to give really solid, if unspectacular performances. **1/2

Post match they got Hoshikawa to say something on the mic. I decided to do some research, apparently he collapsed at a show in Oct, 2004, spent some time in a coma due to brain damage, basically he had a stroke which seemed evident by the way he spoke here. Very moving as he cried as various wrestlers came up to hug him to close out the show. Good to see he was able to stand for the 3-2-1-Zero-One post-show salute.

Decent show, last 3 matches are worth a look, mainly the Kawada/Sekimoto match, but if you're the least bit familiar with these 2, I shouldn't have to tell you that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:55 PM
2007 AirplaneSpin.com