Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Awesome Kong to WWE, Why?
CSA08
post Jan 3 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #1

Mid-Atlantic TV Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,231

When I heard that Awesome Kong had been signed by WWE I thought back to a prediction I made earlier this year which stated that she can kiss national television goodbye because WWE would never sign her. Never say "never."

Even though I was wrong in my prediction doesn't mean I was wrong in my reasons for predicting it. Even after I read the news, I still had no clue what WWE would want to do with her or why they want her.

Right off the bat, she does not fit their image of what a female wrestler is supposed to be. If they gave women like Molly Holly and Mickie James flack over their (mythical) weight issues, I cannot believe Vince would have the cajones to bring in Kong who is, for better or worse, an overweight woman.

Then, there is the issue of her gimmick, which will never fly in a publicly traded company. Whether we believe it or not, the first day Kong, a woman of ebony skin, walks into a ring and they announce her as Awesome or Amazing Kong there will be the backlash of which we haven't seen in years against professional wrestling and Vince and company will be labeled as the biggest racists since the Confederacy. Even though, it's Kong's own idea to be called that. There is a good reason for it, she is a woman built like a gorilla and thus it fits. Though that takes you back to the first problem.

Perhaps worst of all, Kong can wrestle. She can really wrestle. Just like Vader could wrestle.

Now, let's stop and backtrack a little ways. Vader was set for a big push in the WWF and they had ideas about putting him in against Shawn Michaels in what should have been one of the greatest feuds of all time only for it to get derailed simply because Shawn couldn't handle working with the ultra stiff mastodon any more than he had to.

We all saw Shawn publicly bury Vader in the middle of the Summerslam 1996 main event (an action so unprofessional that Vince should have yanked the title off of Shawn the very next night), but there are tons of stories about Shawn getting hacked that Vader had roughed him up during their house show matches.

Now let's just back to 2011 and you have Kong in the WWE women's division. A division which only had three women that I can think of off the top of my head that would be willing and able to go at it full speed with Kong; Beth Phoenix, Nattie Neidhart, and Gail Kim (who WWE would be absolutely foolish not to put in the ring with Kong after their amazing series of matches in TNA.)

The rest of the women's division would have no justification or business being in the ring with her. Someone like Kelly Kelly could not handle what Kong would throw at her, and it would honestly not be something that most fans would want to see as it would be just a little bit too realistic of a beating on the small framed and very girlish looking Kelly. There would just be a moment when everyone would stop and go "this isn't comfortable to watch."

Perhaps worse yet would be if Kong was to be put in the ring with Michelle "Mrs. Undertaker" McCool. Kong leaves a single mark on McCool from a stiff spot in a match, and don't think Taker won't pull some strings to have her shipped off to Florida for the remainder of her contract.

So the only thing I can think of that WWE could possibly do with Kong would be to put her in the ring against other men, and as we all saw with the Chyna experiment, that will not turn out well and I cannot think that WWE would want to go back down that path again.

Finally, her reason for being fired from TNA leaves a gaping hole in the idea that she needs to be working for a publicly traded, highly spotlighted company like WWE. Sure, we all laughed our butts off when we heard that Kong beat the stuffing out of that idiot Bubba the Lovesponge. Yet, the fact is, that is not something she needed to do, should have done, or really had the right to do.

Now imagine if Kong was to lose her cool over something one of WWE's now countless appearing celebrity guests were to have said on their blog or on their twitter account or what have you. Say she didn't take lightly to Jeremy Piven calling Summerslam Summerfest and decides to go have a full contact debate with the actor on his failure to understand the art of pay-per-view promotion.

While it's not likely to happen that Kong would assault someone that WWE had paid to come and be a part of their show, it has been shown that she has done it before. That is not something WWE should even be willing to risk. Let alone the fact that they would have to release someone from their contract and deal with being blackballed by a good portion of Hollywood that doesn't already hate them, Vince would also have to deal with the public fallout from such an act by one of their employees (a group that is already viewed through less than rose colored glasses by the media.)

All of this leaves one thing left to be asked; why did they sign her?

--------------------
Combat Sports Almanac
Covering the History of All Things in the Squared Circle
http://sites.google.com/site/combatsportsalmanac/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WrestlingPower
post Jan 3 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #2

Mid-Atlantic Legend

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 126

I think you are overreacting. Do I think she will fit in? No. Do I think she will be gone from there within a year? Probably.

I don't think her name is going to cause a stir if they even use it. I didn't make that connection until you told me about it.

She's a wrestler, I would think they would want to portray her as a tough killer, though they could go the Bertha Faye route like she worked in Hustle. But heaven forbid anyone that is portrayed as a tough wrestler isn't allowed to show aggression or violent tendencies. But like you said, maybe that isn't PC enough for WWE.

Anyway, I say good for her, WWE asked, she wanted to make money, so she's going. It could be as simple as that.

+Quote Post
CSA08
post Jan 3 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Mid-Atlantic TV Champion

QUOTE (WrestlingPower @ Jan 3 2011, 10:55 AM) *
I think you are overreacting. Do I think she will fit in? No. Do I think she will be gone from there within a year? Probably.

I don't think her name is going to cause a stir if they even use it. I didn't make that connection until you told me about it.

She's a wrestler, I would think they would want to portray her as a tough killer, though they could go the Bertha Faye route like she worked in Hustle. But heaven forbid anyone that is portrayed as a tough wrestler isn't allowed to show aggression or violent tendencies. But like you said, maybe that isn't PC enough for WWE.

Anyway, I say good for her, WWE asked, she wanted to make money, so she's going. It could be as simple as that.

I wouldn't have thought anything about her name either...until a year ago. There was a huge blow up in the mainstream media overreacting to Lebron James appearing on the cover of some magazine with a blonde super model. The set up was that Lebron was portraying King Kong while the model was acting as a take off on Kong's love interest.

It didn't look racist at all and obviously Lebron didn't think so. Yet, the media had a field day with it and acted like it was put together as some type of disgusting insult.

Thus, I just can't imagine Vince taking the chance with her name. As if Vince would let her keep her own ring name anyway.

--------------------
Combat Sports Almanac

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jan 4 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #4

Upper Midcarder

Member No.: 4,574

The way gimmicks are copywritten, I would be surprised if they even used the words "Awesome" or "Amazing".

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1tXhJniSEc

XBOX Live Gamertag : GlandHammer

+Quote Post
WrestlingPower
post Jan 4 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #5

Mid-Atlantic Legend

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 126

Well Awesome was stupid from the get-go since there was the 400lber from Texas that used that name.

+Quote Post
theRAGEcommish
post Jan 5 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #6

Midcarder

Member No.: 3,270

I think ppl give Michelle McCool to much hell for marrying Undertaker for starters...She is still in the Top5 actual TALENTS in the ladies division in WWE...

Now with that said I don't wanna see her against Kong

I can't WAIT to see a Beth Phoenix/Kong match or even a Kong/Tamina (sp?) match

--------------------
Duffman thrusting in the direction of the problem!

+Quote Post
Nick Sharpe
post Jan 5 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Why so serious?

Member No.: 51

The rest of the women's division would have no justification or business being in the ring with her. Someone like Kelly Kelly could not handle what Kong would throw at her, and it would honestly not be something that most fans would want to see as it would be just a little bit too realistic of a beating on the small framed and very girlish looking Kelly. There would just be a moment when everyone would stop and go "this isn't comfortable to watch."

Perhaps worse yet would be if Kong was to be put in the ring with Michelle "Mrs. Undertaker" McCool. Kong leaves a single mark on McCool from a stiff spot in a match, and don't think Taker won't pull some strings to have her shipped off to Florida for the remainder of her contract.

Trish Stratus. I remember talks like this back in 2000.

AAAAAAND, part of the reason Trish was so good is also possible. Finlay's no longer active and still in the company.

..... for humor's sake, I'd also say Kong has the respect in women's locker rooms because everyone knows she could eat all them alive, and has a better "Locker Room Approval Rating" (Trademark Pending) than most of the rest of the business (although, Johnny Ace is still a road agent, and he dicked the Dudleys so bad...).

And I'd actually be willing to place a bet on her takin' Taker in a fight. Somethin' about her tells me she could take the Deadman in a legit fight.

I seen them underground videos of ghetto mamas. She'd kill the big dead ginger. tongue.gif

--------------------

"You chicken choking pecker puke!" ~ Terry Funk

+Quote Post
CSA08
post May 4 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Mid-Atlantic TV Champion

***Minor Spoiler coming so be forewarned***

So at the Smackdown tapings last night, Alicia Fox became the first legitimate victim of Kong/Kharma's stiff in ring style.

After taking a hard clothesline from the newcomer followed up by the implant buster, Fox is said to have suffered a separated shoulder that will like put her on the shelf for a couple of weeks. Other sites are reporting that the injury could be a bit worse, but all I have heard so far is a separated shoulder.

At any rate, it's like I said nearly six months ago, these bikini models and what have you don't have any business in the ring with Awesome Kong, and there are only two or three that can legitimately hang with her in WWE right now.

I am sincerely fearing for the safety of a few women like Kelly Kelly or even Layla El should they be matched up against her.

I just wonder how long WWE will put up with it if this becomes more the rule rather than the exception.

--------------------
Combat Sports Almanac

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:28 PM
2007 AirplaneSpin.com